UPSC EXAM PATTERN UPSC CIVIL SERVICES EXAM PATTERN 2020
While preparing for the UPSC Exams / UPSC Civil Services Exams, a candidate must know about the Exam Pattern to qualify the examination as everyone knows that how tough is it to clear the UPSC Civil Services Examination. A prior knowledge of the examination pattern shall give an edge to the aspirant while preparing for the UPSC Exams. Before giving the detailed pattern for the UPSC Civil Service Exams, let us see the stages which are required for the UPSC Exams which is as follows:
UPSC Civil Services 2020 will be conducted in three different stages which is given below:
- Preliminary Exam
- Mains Exam
- Personality Test/ Interview Process
Candidates, who qualify the preliminary exams, will be called for the mains exam and all those candidates who qualify both preliminary and mains exams, then he/ she will be called for the Interview Process. All these rounds will be granted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern for Prelims
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Prelims Exam Pattern for the IAS, IFS, etc. for the year 2020 is given below:
- The Stage I (Preliminary Exam) is consists of 2 (two) Compulsory Papers,e. General Ability Test (GAT) and the Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT). This round or examination will test the analytical skills of the applicants.
- Stage I (Prelims Exam) will consist of Objective Type Questions. Candidates have to choose any one of the 4 options provided for each question.
- The Preliminary Exams are set in both English as well as in Hindi However, questions relating to the English Comprehension (English Language) will be based on the class 10th level. This will be only available in English and it will not be translated in Hindi.
- Applicants should have to get a Minimum of 33% Marks to be qualified for the Mains Exams.
Highlights of UPSC Civil Service Exam Pattern for Preliminary Exams
The highlights required for the UPSC Exam Pattern for Prelims is given below:
|Name of the examination||UPSC Preliminary Exam|
|Mode of examination||Offline (With Pen & Paper)|
|Total number of papers||2 papers (General Ability Test (GAT) and Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT))|
|Total number of questions||180 questions (Paper 1- 100 questions and Paper 2- 80 questions)|
|Type of question||Objective type questions|
|Total marks||400 marks (Paper 1- 100 marks and Paper 2- 100 marks)|
|Nature of exam||Qualifying|
|Duration of exam||2 hours each, + 20 minutes for the Blind Candidates|
|Mode of paper||Both English and Hindi|
UPSC 2020 Exam Pattern for Prelims
The Prelims Exam for UPSC Exam 2020 consists of GS & CSAT. Let’s have a look at the Exam Pattern for UPSC Civil Services Exam 2020:
|Name of the paper||Paper I (General Studies)||Paper II (Civil Service Aptitude Test)|
|Total no. of questions||100||80|
|Total Marks||200 marks||200 marks|
|Duration||2 hours||2 hours|
|Nature of paper||Considered for cut off||Qualifying Nature|
Important Points for UPSC Prelims Exams
The important points regarding for the Prelims Exams are as follows:
- Each question in GS (paper 1) carries 2 marks.
- Each question in CSAT (paper 2) carries 5 marks.
- For each wrong answer, one-third (0.33) of the marks will be deducted as penalty.
- If a candidate chooses more than one option, then it will be treated as wrong answer and same one- third (0.33) marks will be deducted as penalty.
- If a candidate left a question blank, i.e. he / she has not given answer to that question, and then there will no penalty and no marks will be deducted.
- Candidates must score minimum 33% marks to qualify the examination.
UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern for Mains
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Exam Pattern for Mains for the IAS, IFS, etc. are as follows:
- The UPSC Mains Exam is also an offline exam, i.e. it will be done with the help of pen and paper.
- The UPSC Mains Exam contains total 9 (Nine) Papers.
- Each paper will be of 3 hours. 30 Minutes are given extra for blind applicants.
- Questions will be both objective and subjective in nature.
- Question papers are available in both English as well as in
- UPSC IAS Mains Exam is further divided into two types – Qualifying Exam and Merit Exam. It is compulsory for student to appear for both exams.
- There will be two optional papers. Candidates may choose any of the two papers.
UPSC Mains Exam Pattern 2020
The UPSC IAS/ IFS Mains Exam Pattern 2020 is as follows:
|Sl. No.||Paper||Subject||Total Marks||Duration|
|1.||Paper A||One of the Indian Langauge to be selected by an applicant from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution||300 marks||3 hours|
|2.||Paper B||English||300 marks||3 hours|
|3.||Paper I||Essay||250 marks||3 hours|
|4.||Paper II||General Studies – I (Indian Heritage and Culture, Geography of the World and Society and History)||250 marks||3 hours|
|5.||Paper III||General Studies – II (Governance, Polity, International relations, Constitution and Social Justice)||250 marks||3 hours|
|6.||Paper IV||General Studies –III (Technology, Bio – diversity, Economic Development, Security, Environment and Disaster Management)||250 marks||3 hours|
|7.||Paper V||General Studies – IV (Ethics, Aptitude and Integrity)||250 marks||3 hours|
|8.||Paper VI||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250 marks||3 hours|
|9.||Paper VII||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250 marks||3 hours|
|Total||9 papers||1750 marks|
Important Points for UPSC Mains Exam 2020
The important points regarding for the UPSC Mains Exam Pattern 2020 are as follows:
- All the above given papers are of Merit Nature except for the language papers, i.e. Paper A and Paper B.
- Both of the Papers A & Paper B are of qualifying nature.
- All the papers are in descriptive answer type papers.
- Applicants must need to score a minimum of 25% marks in all paper I to VII.
- The above given Paper A is not compulsory for the candidates belonging from the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim and Nagaland and those candidates who are hearing impairment.
- All papers are available in both Hindi and English language papers.
- Each question will carry of 5 marks.
List of the optional subjects are as follows:
- Commerce & Accountancy
- Political Science & International Relations
- Mechanical Engineering
- Public Administration
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Medical Science
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
UPSC Interview Exam Pattern 2020
This part of examination, i.e. UPSC Interview/ Personality Test comes only after the results of the Mains Exams are declared. All those candidates who qualify the mains exams can be given preference for choosing the language in which they may like to be interviewed. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will make an arrangement for the translators. So applicants may choose the language of their choice. After appearing in an interview, the marks obtained in this round will be combined with the rest of marks obtained in the mains exams.
- This round will be of 275 marks.
- Marks obtained in this round will fetched with mains exam marks. So the Grand Total will be 2025 Marks.
- Candidates will be ranked on the basis of the total (grand) marks and then called for the final interview.
Above information are related with UPSC Exam Pattern 2020.
List of History & Indian Culture Books for preparation for UPSC Exam?
A Brief of History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir, Ancient India by RS Sharma (Old NCERT), Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania.
How to prepare for UPSC General Knowledge?
Go through daily newspaper and watch News.
UPSC IFS Recruitment 2020 – Click Here
UPSC Civil Service Recruitment 2020 – Click Here
UPSC IAS Eligibility Criteria – Click here
How to Prepare UPSC Exam – Click Here
UPSC IAS Preparation Tips in Hindi – Click Here
UPSC Prelim exam pattern 2020 and UPSC Exam pattern 2020 for prelim and mains updated here. UPSC Exam pattern 2020 and UPSC Syllabus details. UPSC Civil services exam pattern and preparation tips for UPSC IAS Exam. UPSC IAS Exam pattern 2020 UPSC IPS Exam pattern 2020 UPSC IES Exam pattern and UPSC IFS Exam pattern 2020. UPSC Exam pattern 2020 full details are here. UPSC Syllabus and exam pattern 2020 full details are here updated for all latest government jobs in India